Saturday 12 August 2017

Cumulus: Storyboarding the Adventure

Cumulus, copyright cumulo pictures, Alison Moon 2017


When I was approached late 2015 to create character designs for the characters in Ioan Holland's 'Cumulus' I was pretty exited. I think it was the words: 'anime-style' and 'she gets lost in the clouds'.

In other words, it was a return to what I like most about being an illustrator: story telling through pictures.

From the original character designs, featured here, I then worked with Ioan Holland (the director) and the background designer, Merle Hunt, to plot out the first sequence of events in an initial storyboard (left).

As the project grew, it was an interesting experience to work with a team that had started to even become international - learning more about animation with its benefits and limitations, navigating time differences and working with a much greater input from other artists than I had previously been used to in freelance/ commission work.

Very much as exciting an adventure as the protagonists!













No comments:

Post a Comment