Wednesday 5 August 2015

Even More Summer Watercolours

Poolside, Watercolour on Aquabord,
© alisonmoonillustration 2015
 There's something about painting in a different country, or actually, just being somewhere different. The lighting, I think, is the big 'thing' for me, as creating a feel of freshness has always been a concern of mine. Maybe it's the novelty factor as well, but I don't think anyone should be expected to be creative while being stuck in one place. But I believe that art is subjective: what suits one person might not suit another.

For this first piece, it was my first proper experiment with Ampersand's 'Aquabord' (see their website) a clay coated surface that feels like a cross between, oddly enough, soft fabric and fine grit sandpaper - or if sandpaper could be described as 'velvety'. Softly gritty, maybe. You can actually sand the surface as well to make it smoother like hot press paper, but I have yet to try that

Side Street in Spain, Watercolour, © alisonmoonillustration 2015
Personally comparing it to paper, it was quite a different experience - I didn't have to worry about paper buckling and I was able to do really detailed initial drawings that I could rub out really vigorously without causing damage.

Glazing was also good fun, as the surface really took hold of the colour, fixing it in place so layers could apply more easily without disturbing previous ones. Also, lifting with a stiff bristle brush was, as advertised, easy to do. I don't know how both properties can exist, but there you have it.

To me, though, it just wasn't quite as nice to work with as paper - my surface of choice remains a stretched 300gsm rough watercolour paper. How the colours sit and blend, particularly when using wet on wet techniques just feels more comfortable and less resistant on paper. Perhaps that's just bias speaking, but I found applying washes onto the aquabord somewhat frustrating, and streaking appearing where the brush (squirrel hair, in this case) moved across the surface where it wouldn't occur on paper.


On an end note, I think I might try to sand an aquabord panel before I make any final personal judgement, and it's worth knowing that if I ever wanted to do a mixed media and textural piece with watercolour, Ampersand is a nice sturdy option that will also travel outside well.

Quintessentially Timacuan, Watercolour, © alisonmoonillustration 2015

Days of British Summer at Polesden Lacey, Watercolour on Aquabord, © alisonmoonillustration 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment