Thursday 5 February 2015

The Folio Collection of Ghost Stories Competition Entry

The Folio Illustrated Book Competition 2015


This Years' competition brief was to design three illustrations and a book cover for an anthology of ghost stories - always a fun theme to illustrate,

so I thought I'd give entering a go.








For the front cover design, the challenge for me was to come up with something graphic and interesting. I love Gothic style imagery, and since the stories featured all had a Victorian or Edwardian feel to the writing. To find out more about the stories and the competition itself, here is the link:

 http://competitions.houseofillustration.org.uk/book-illustration-competition-2015/about-the-book/

I felt that old fashioned was a good way to go. In the end I chose a raven to make use of the symbolism and the appropriate link to the poem 'The Raven' by Edgar Allen Poe.  



The Abbott's Treasure by M. R. James
Mixed Media


The Upper Berth by F. Marion. Crawford
Mixed Media


A Tale of an Empty House by E. F. Benson
Mixed Media


Overall, I'm happy with what I've done, and i was glad to get stuck into an intensive project again. More of my work can be seen at http://www.alisonmoonillustration.com


No comments:

Post a Comment